[RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations

Nelson Moyer ku0a at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 13 00:33:19 EDT 2008

OK, I confess, I transmitted on TX5C once by accident after taking a break
from the 30 meter RTTY pileup to check other bands for propagation and
forgetting I had disabled split mode in the process. It only took one
transmission to bring out the cops, and the frequency was trashed by at
least 2-3 of them for several seconds.

Perhaps it's the increasing average age of hams in general that exacerbates
the problem, I notice that I've gotten more error-prone in the past 3 years,
like forgetting to change the band switch on the amp or transmitting into
the wrong antenna. Maybe we should all count to 10 before jumping on some
senile offender to see if it's an accident by an otherwise knowledgeable op,
the result of ignorance and inexperience on the part of some newby, or
intentional QRM from some miscreant that can't work the DX and resents the
fact that others can.

However, my all time pet peeve is the idiot that tunes up on the DX transmit
frequency when the DX is listening 15-20 kHZ up the band. Now why can't the
unwashed masses comprehend that if you're going to call the DX up 15-20 kHz,
you probably should tune up where you are going to TRANSMIT, not where you
are going to LISTEN!

I relinquish my soap box to the next party in line.

Nelson, KU0A