[RTTY] Comments on TX5C RTTY Operations

Don ac7zg at verizon.net
Thu Mar 13 03:31:22 EDT 2008

Tonight on 40m RTTY, 2 calls and I am in the log with a RTTY QSO with 100W
and a vertical with heavy callers around.  I used the same strategy you
mentioned.   (and it worked for CW on 160m (5 calls), 80m(2 calls), and 30m
cw (4 calls). All with vertical and 100W (no wires allowed, no beams allowed
in my neighborhood)

Yet that strategy did not work well on 30m several nights ago -- it was if
the guy spun the dial up then listened, not using a waterfall display as he
tuned upwards.  He hopped around a lot using this strategy (sometimes down)
taking 500 to 1500khz hops. Op was F2JD according the TX5C website. Very
strange and not easy even while listening.  One of the big beefs I have is
that is hard to tell who is the responder without actually looking at their
message -- there are SO MANY continuing to call when the dx is working
someone on RTTY (and CW). Its not obvious who he's working without decoding
all.  (And there was an interesting piece of software in this month's RSGB
magazine -- a guy has written a horizontal waterfall program that decodes up
to 500 cw callers using a wide swath of a HDR-5000....all you have to do is
look for the 5nn on the right edge of the display EVEN IF 100's continue to
give their callsign(also decoded).
Don