[RTTY] (no subject)

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Thu Mar 13 15:58:24 EDT 2008

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:25:26 EDT, Gedking at aol.com wrote:

>TX5C running USB es reverse??? I got em on 14084 LSB no reverse. I thought
>RTTY LSB common practice.??
>ED K8OT

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

The standard is for the transmitted mark frequency to be higher than the
transmitted space frequency. Whether you use USB or LSB at your end does
not matter as long as your RF signal is correct.

The idea that LSB is the "standard" dates back to the days when AFSK was
the only RTTY method available to most hams, and the hardware available
was designed to output the correct audio tones for LSB. Once
software-generated tones and/or direct FSK keying signals became
available, it no longer mattered how one generates the signal as long as
the transmitted RF signal was correct.

Old timers will recall the slogan for Lucky Strike cigarettes: LSMFT,
meaning Lucky Strike Makes Fine Tobacco. For RTTY, it means Low Space
Makes Fine Teletype.

73, Bill W6WRT