[RTTY] 40 Meters RTTY

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Sun Nov 9 14:07:31 EST 2008

Yesterday, I got some "first hand" experience, that I've been hearing about, for some time. While operating in the KY QSO Party, admittedly not a major contest, on 7.035.5, at 19:35 UTC, I was suddenly, and without any consideration, swamped with US RTTY stations calling an EU station? As if it wasn't bad enough, and terribly inconsiderate, to completely cover any station that I was trying to work, the EU station was spotted, on packet, increasing the activity!

7035.3 DP4P         RTTY                              1935 08 Nov

This type of behavior is unacceptable, especially if we, as RTTY operators, are to "set the example"? I'm very fond of saying that RTTY operators have the ability "to be considerate, while being competitive"! After yesterday, I may have changed my mind.

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW