[RTTY] Comment on Strange WAE Macros

Dick Kriss aa5vu at arrl.net
Mon Nov 10 13:58:15 EST 2008

I operated mostly in S&P mode for the WAE and noticed
some annoying and time consuming macros used by more
than one stations running in CQ mode.

>From the S&P view point several stations would respond
after the run station signed QRZ.   He would then go back
with a report without a call sign.  It was not clear who he
was responding to so the pile would respond again.  Finally,
he would send the same report again with a S&P's call at
the end.

It was like these stations were trolling by tossing out the
next sequence number to see who would QSL and send a
report. The strongest station would be the winner.

Whatever program comes with the short exchange needs
to be changed. The poor macro just added to confusion.

I thought the standard macro for a CQ station's response
should be

    %HISCALL %RST %TXNUM %HISCALL

saying for the S&P station to send his report.  This way
there should be no confusion on who should accept the
report and who should transmit next.

The report with no call was really confusing.

Dick AA5VU