[RTTY] Looking for resources: RFI solutions

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Nov 18 22:55:07 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 12:33, Bill, W6WRT <dezrat1242 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is no downside that I know of, in fact in my shack I have to
> bond them together or 160 meter RF gets into the computer and wipes
> out the soundcard.  If possible, have the radio and the PC right next
> to each other so the ground wire is as short as possible.
>
> Also, you mentioned having a separate ground rod for the rig. This
> might be a source of trouble too, since you can't really 'ground' RF
> in the sense of making it 'go away'. Your ground rod+wire is no doubt
> acting as an antenna, although an inefficient one. Try removing the
> ground and see if things improve.

Like most areas, we get 30-50 thunderstorm days per year, so going
ungrounded permanently isn't happening.  I have yet to try ungrounding
temporarily to check for improvement (my lovely assistant is at a
class tonight).

I did make up a ground braid, however.  I attached it to the PC and
was about to attach it to the ground stud in the pass-thru when I
decided to see if there was anything on it.  Sure enough, about 0.10 V
dc.  If I knew nothing about grounding before, I know less now.  :-)
Guess I really need to look into getting the different grounds bonded
together.

Will I 'splode anything if I connect it?

My feedline was updated a few weeks ago, going from 110' of Tandy
RG-8X to about 60' of Belden 9913.  Didn't think that would make much
difference at HF, but I ran some dummy numbers:
http://underwateryagi.blogspot.com/2008/11/loss.html - yeah, it makes
a difference (I did measure SWR tonight, and the 1.5:1 I used in the
calculator was optimistic on all but 15 m and within a few kHz of 3.8
MHz!).

Thanks, all for your suggestions!!

No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!