[RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 71, Issue 20, msg 3

Jeff Le Fouler F6AOJ f6aoj at orange.fr
Thu Nov 20 15:58:37 EST 2008

Hi Tom,

Any comment can be both true and wrong,
depending of PC hardware and software configuaration.

Hal ST-6000 require a serial port
supporting 5 bits word length
and low speed baud rate compability

Mother board of a tower has 1 or 2 serial com ports ( DB9 connector )
On recent Pc CCITT#2 ( Baudot / Telex ) is not any more supported.
So, code conversion must be done by a dedicated program.
It will be possible as long as 5 bits word length is supported.by port com.
Check that point in port parameters menu.
In that menu you will not see baud rate below 75 Bd,
but it is not a probleme because on mother board com ports
a dedicated program is able to adjust baud rate at 45.45 ( or an acceptable
close value )

I am using "TTYterm" a full Windows freeware
compatible from Win 95 to Vista
http://rxcontrol.free.fr/TTYTerm/index.html
writen by SWL Bertrand Velle
available for download on his website RX control
http://rxcontrol.free.fr/

I am running a Frederick model 1632 hardware decoder
for amateur radio trafic in RTTY.
its output is CCITT#2 Baudot at 45.45 Bd supplied
are compatible with this nice software.

If  mother board has no com port,
as it is now more and moreusual,
a pluged PCI board, who will emulate serial ports,
but take care:
check first if board is supporting 5 bits word length
and look at minimum baud rate before to buy one.
You can choice a low speed board as VScom pci-400-Ls,
as do my friend  F5QE f5qe at orange.fr
( VScom pci-400-Hs  is not compatible ccitt #2 and low speed )

There is also some USB to com port converter compatible ccitt #2 and low
speed
Check also support of 5 bits word length and minimum baudrate before to buy
one.
My  friend  F5QE f5qe at orange.fr run by this way
a stack of hardware decoders ( Collins Frederick and so on )

All those com ports adapters are working in bloc mode when transfering data
from com port to application program
For caracter by caracter display instead of  blocs
some parameters must be adjusted.
Depending of software used adjust one or sevral parrameters in this list::
- execute dedicated program as windows version 95, 98, 98se
- emulate USART in basic mode instead of new buffered version
- reduce buffer size to very few caracters.

Some years ago i was using PK232
as code converter CCITT#2  to CCITT #5 ( ASCII )
and speed converter 45.45 to 9600bd
with the hardware decoder as an external modem,
when my computers operating sytem was Windows 95 & 98.
Used software was XPware of KF7XP, it was perfect.
Dramaticly this software is not compatible.with Windows Xp ,
this is why i am now using TTYterm who save need of  PK-232.

73 Jeff