[RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Nov 24 16:34:06 EST 2008

For any contest sponsor to promote activity that includes
160 meters on the weekend of the ARRL 160 meter contest is
the height of hubris and the very definition of "un-amateurly."

The ARRL 160 meter contest has been a fixture for more than
30 years.  Promoting RTTY activity on 160 that weekend, no
matter how few participants actually use 160 meters is simply
encouraging intentional interference and inciting a "range
war."

I regularly defend RTTY access to 7030-7060 KHz over state
QSO parties and QRP operating events during most international
RTTY contests.  For anyone to promote RTTY activity during one
of two major 160 meter CW contests is 100% completely wrong
and makes a complete mockery of the arguments made in support
of RTTY in other venues.  TARA has marked RTTY as a mode like
SSTV that doesn't care about finding common ground with other
users of the band and certainly decreases the chance that RTTY
and RTTY operators will be treated fairly by non-RTTY contesters
on other bands.

I would strongly urge TARA to remove 160 from their event
as long as it is scheduled the same weekend as the ARRL
160 Meter contest.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV