[RTTY] MMTTY Macros

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Sat Oct 11 01:35:13 EDT 2008

> Those are good examples, except you don['t really need the
> "DE". Every time you don't send it, you save exactly 1/2
> second. (167 mS for each character plus the space).
>
> Over the course of a contest that can add up to enough time
> to work several more stations.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other about using 'DE'.  I argue with
myself about it.  However, there's more to it than just adding up
milliseconds.  The 'DE' can be valuable in certain situations.  Some
software is configured to consider the text following a 'DE' as a call sign.
Some RTTY contest participants find the 'DE' helpful.  Sometimes it is
useful when answering a CQ and sometimes it is useful in the Sprint exchange
so that someone tuning across part of the transmission can more quickly get
synced with who is sending what.  If everyone I worked was a veteran
contester, I wouldn't use 'DE' anywhere.

73,
Ed - W0YK