[RTTY] MMTTY Macros

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 10:36:16 EDT 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 10/12    6:35 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> I wonder which programs are still doing that? N1MM Logger does not
> require the "DE" to recognize a call sign.

If those extra two characters (and a space) slows you down too much,
you should find a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign, Bill.  W7TI is a good call to
choose :-).

Unlike CW, with RTTY you don't care if they are short Morse
characters, or if the last Morse element is not a dash, etc, etc.
What the CW nuts consider "undesirable" calls is just as good as
anything else on RTTY.  Just pick the O, Q, Y and J callsigns that CW
contesters reject.

Remember when W6NL used to be W6QHS?  That was brutal to copy at 40
wpm CW; I used to recognize it by lots of dots at the end and just
assumed it was Dave.  Nowadays, you can just use Skimmer :-).  I was
watching the RTTY contest a little on 40m yesterday and Dave was
there sprinting away.

As a nit, R and Y are actually not that desirable for RTTY call signs
if there is a lot of multipath and hence mark-space overlaps.  It is
better to choose Baudot letters with fewer bit transitions.  The
reason why RYRY is used for testing is that there are maximal bit
transition.  They are characters that often are the first to misprint.

Now, if you think some Varicode mode is going to take over contesting
one day, start switching your calls to ones with e, o and t :-) :-)

73
Chen, W7AY