[RTTY] MMTTY Macros

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 12:31:16 EDT 2008

I wrote earlier:
> It is better to choose Baudot letters with fewer bit transitions.  The
> reason why RYRY is used for testing is that there are maximal bit
> transition.

This reminds me of something else... I hope I can explain one of the
minor mysteries of RTTY.

RTTY'ers who have done enough DX'ing probably have at various times
seen a bunch of sporadic V printed on their screen.

I remember one time many aeons ago, I was watching a pileup and Garry
NI6T sent a quick "whats all the V?" :-) :-).

I didn't see any V from that particular DX station that Garry
commented on, but I have often seen it with other stations.

The answer is very simple actually -- notice that

1) most programs/TNC use LTRS as the diddle character.

2) the LTRS character in Baudot is 0x1f (5 bits of '1' )

	'1' is sent as a mark, a start bit is sent as a space, and stop is
sent as a mark -- so LTRS is transmitted as a space, followed by 6.5
bits of mark

3) the V character in Baudot is 0x1e.  LSB is transmitted first, so V
is a '0' bit followed by four '1' bits.

	including the start and stop bits, a V is transmitted as two spaces,
followed by 5.5 marks

Therefore if multipath causes the start bit of a diddle to start
overlapping into the first data bit, that diddle character can print
as a V if the multipath is severe or if  the demodulator's multipath
countermeasure is weak.

The next time you see a bunch of V printed on the screen,  it is not
the station at the other end that is at fault.  The ionosphere is
smearing the start bit sufficiently into the first data bit to cause a
decoding problem.

This only happens if the DX station is manually typing.  Most software
generated exchanges don't have embedded diddles.

73
Chen, W7AY