[RTTY] CQWW exchange

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at pclink.com
Mon Sep 29 15:31:03 EDT 2008

Whoa! This message got out of the gate before I was finished reading all the
queued messages!

I see there is some debate about the {CALL} in the macro string I suggested.
My thought is {CALL} is important not for the specific station you have just
qso'ed, but rather everyone else in the pile up of calling stations.
Everyone sees you are confirming a contact with someone other than them! If
I see "TU K0RF W6WRT CQ" after sending you my report, then I know Chuck has
(once again) overpowered my signal and grabbed your discriminator instead of
me!

Of course the down side of this is you slow down your rate a significant
percentage.

The Hyphen debate WAS settled and including it was the appropriate thing to
do. You missed the memo. As Kok said, it reduces the TX string length by
14%. This isn't the only reason I use the hyphen. It also reduces by 14% the
possibility a QRN or QRM will kill the SHIFT character. It's not there to
kill in the first place.

Here's another example from my practical standpoint... My car is parked in
the garage, face in. I put it in gear to leave. I move forward 14 inches.
Then I put it in reverse and back out of the garage. If my wife had parked
less than 14 inches from the wall in front, I'm going to have a "hit". My
first motion is useless and wasted activity.

Convince me otherwise.  :-)

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN