[RTTY] Fwd: [Elecraft] CQWW RTTY - K3 Experience

Junior charlesw_anderso at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 29 19:46:59 EDT 2008

 Chen,
 I was ragchewing with a W7 one day who mentioned he was trying out
FSK-D mode on his K3. I am not familiar with the K3 or FSK-D.
I guess FSK-D could be the paddle configuration?
The copy was not the greatest but what I noticed was a lot of extra spaces
in between the words/print. It could have been conditons at the time causing
that.
When I listened to the diddles I heard a distinct long dash in the
diddles/shifting ( farnsworth diddles? ). That made the diddles sound like
it was slower than 45 baud. I have been listening to diddles since 1970 so
that dash stood out to the ear.
Ritty has a function called Waveform. When you invoke it all the ASCII
characters you normally don't see will print out in between the print/words
when ragchewing i.e. like CR, LF, L for letters shift in a shaded color.
Ritty was copied the long dash as a
B which is an inverted tab.
If the signal had been strong I doubt I would got those extra spaces in
between the words.
There is a software used by some that throws in a lot letters like we use to
with the old tape headers to slip in the TD on the old machines. Ritty will
print out six or seven letter shifts with Waveform on from that software but
the diddles/shift sound normal.
I can't get a screen shot to send you as Ritty runs in DOS under Win95.
I am not knocking the K3 but only what I observed. If I could afford the top
end model I would probably purchase one. Military retired pay aint't the
greatest :(
Charles/kk5oq