[RTTY] EA Contest Rules

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Sat Apr 4 23:11:59 PDT 2009

Bill,

The nature of the rules of these contests does leave me cold.
Don't allow a solo QSO in a contest? How awful. Has the
contest world become so cruel and heartless as to deny a
single contact - even if it is valid? Yep!

As a former contester, and yes I was, even winning JARTS
once on 40m, today I'm sobered by the intrusion of computers
and cross-checking to the point of lunacy. Modern contesters
win by thousands of points by sheer mathematical horsepower.
Yet one single "out of the ordinary" contact is DQ'ed.

To me, that's awful, one individual is important -- for
without individuals -- what are we? Generalized statistics.

You say: "Make several contacts or none at all." That says
a lot to me about the state of contesting today. Contesting
used to be fun -- now it has devolved from friendly competition
into a serious cut-throat operation where individuals need not
participate. Some travel to exotic locations to win big by
scoring huge multipliers -- this at the expense of the little
guy (like me) who makes one point by making one contact. How sad, eh?

-End of soap box - thanks for reading - now back to reality.

73 de Phil - N8PS