[RTTY] USB to Serial Convertors

Richard Ferch ve3iay at storm.ca
Sat Aug 1 03:42:59 PDT 2009

Andrei,

Does this work for FSK from MMTTY *without* using EXTFSK?

As far as I am aware, basically any USB-to-serial adapter will work with
EXTFSK - there's nothing remarkable about that. It's using them directly
without the help of EXTFSK that is the problem.

The reason I ask is that according to the specifications at the link you
gave, the minimum speed of this one is 300 baud.

The same question applies to the Digi Edgeport multi-port devices. I
don't see a minimum speed mentioned in the specifications at the Digi
web site, but the maximum speed mentioned is high enough to raise
concerns. The reason most USB adapters don't work at low speeds, as I
understand it, is that there is a limit to the dynamic range of speeds
they will support, and in order to support very high speeds (230 kbps
and up) they give up support for very low speeds. In addition, they may
also give up support for 5-bit word lengths, since very high-speed
applications probably use only 8-bit words.

73,
Rich VE3KI