[RTTY] GU0SUP RAM issue

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Sat Aug 15 13:48:26 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Many thanks to those offering RAM. It appears that the problem was that the
RAM stick had come loose, and only needed to be removed and
reseated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PHEW!
Having said it was an OLD computer (it is, by todays standards!), the memory
is actually still readily available, and not too expensive either, so maybe
I will get some more anyway.

I wasn't able to get to this PC last night, as it was buried under a mound
of copper piping, and various plumbing tools.

OK, so the PC boots up as far as the DOS part now, but the CPU fan has
failed. Looks like I need to buy a new fan, and then all should be well
again.
A friend loaned me a fan to test things, and this seems to work, but it is
making nasty noises, and seems a little hot, so I can't really run the PC
for very long.
I also seem to have "lost" contact with the rig, but I think that may just
be a loose DB9 plug at the back of the PC, (hopefully!), which came out when
I moved the tower to get at the innards.

So, the plumber has gone home after finishing off, and the electricians
finished yesterday, but we have since discovered that the extractor fan in
the bathroom was the cause of the problem in the first place.
Oh well, it has been an expensive week all round, and there is a bit more to
do (need to run some extra cabling for some extra sockets), but that isn't
too serious.

Sorry I am missing SARTG, as I really enjoy the 3 sessions, and the format,
but I hope all will be well for CQWW next month!

Good luck to all of you, and maybe me being missing will give you some sort
of blessing from the gods of propagation.

73 for now, and hope to see you all again soon!

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090814-0, 14/08/2009
Tested on: 15/08/2009 21:48:26