[RTTY] Crystal filter width preferences for RTTY contesting

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 23:08:16 PDT 2009

Chen,

Thanks for pointing me to Jim's site on this filter comparison.  I have used
his RFI white paper and RF choke design recommendations before.  He really
is one of the masters.

>From a -6db standpoint, the advertised specs of the K3 250 is 370 hz and the
K3 400 is 425.  I think Jim is seeing a bit more narrow of a spread.  But
the comments on the combination effects are interesting.  The cascade effect
of similar width filters essentially provides an improvement in the net
shape factor.  It's a confirmation of the modern rig that some (like the
Icom, for example) do not have exceptionally narrow roofing filters yet the
DSP is able to provide quite high close-spaced DR3 performance.  Amazing
really.

Let me summarize what I think your summary point are:

1. There is a technical argument for a roughly 320 hz bandwidth - to
accommodate adequate sideband capture of a perfectly centered signal.
2. And then we need to consider some mis-tuning - and add a bit of width to
accommodate that.

If we assume a +/- 25 hz mistuning range (another comment was the typical
tuning error was perhaps 20 hz as a guess), then we come up with a 370 hz
number.  Exactly the same as the 250 hz K3 performance.  I think this helps
to explain why there is quite a bit of satisfaction with the K3 using this
filter on RTTY.

Very interesting subject...

73/jeff/ac0c