[RTTY] trying to understand afsk

Ted Huf ted at w4ze.com
Fri Feb 6 13:18:25 EST 2009

I found this in an MARS document on the internet.  Does this apply to ham
use? I think they are talking about PACTOR, but the principle should apply.
Standard RTTY 170 hz shift is 2125/2295. So, does this from below mean a
station trying to operate on 14080.00, should set his dial to 14080.000 khz
+ 2.210 khz = 14082.21? That would explain way I sometimes get spotted 2 khz
from where I am calling CQ.
73 Ted W4ZE

The frequency that you need to set on your radio dial is not the frequency
listed in the Assigned Frequency Lists for each station. The frequencies
listed are the Center of Intelligence Frequency as explained in the Army
MARS NetPlan. Tone pairs, type of mode, FSK, LSB AFSK, USB AFSK, shift, etc.
all contribute to confusing the issue. Using Center Frequency is the easiest
common denominator, so here is how to compute it.

1. To go from Assigned Frequency (AF) to LSB DIAL setting: LSB DIAL = CF +
CFT

Where CFT is the center audio frequency of YOUR tones (One plus the other
divided by two)

Example - Computing Dial Frequency For a Assigned Frequency of 10000.0 kHz
Default tones in the SCS PTC II (2.0 Mark + 2.2 Space)/2 = 2.1 Center +
10000.00 = 10002.1 LSB *
KAM Plus default Tones (1.6 Mark + 1.8 Space)/2 = 1.7 Center + 10000.0 =
10001.7 LSB *
PK232 Tones (2.11 Mark + 2.31 Space)/2 = 2.21 Center + 10000.0 = 10002.21
LSB
*