[RTTY] ARRL RTTY Roundup, de VE3GSI - SO AB LP

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 5 11:23:42 EST 2009

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VE3GSI

Class: Single Op LP

QTH: ON

Operating Time (hrs): 20

 Band  QSOs

------------

   80:  166

   40:  223

   20:  272

   15:   69

   10:    0

------------

Total:  730  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 47  Total Score = 75,920

Comments:

I only had one goal when I started the contest and that was to even or
slightly

better my score over last year, which I did. Saturday night the low bands
were

lousy here, both with propagation and some local neighbourhood plasma TV
QRN.

Saturday morning proved to be much better for me, even though I could never
get

a good run using low power on any band.  The activity on fifteen meters was

simply work and I had problems getting some of the stations to hear me on
low

power, maybe it is time to fix my amplifier!

I worked just over 20 hours in total, but could not squeeze in the remaining

hours because of an unexpected visitors and a prior commitment which we were

obligate to keep.  Next year I must do a better job at blocking off the

calendar and bolting the doors and windows to keep out any visitors.

I worked all US states except MD, which begs me to ask. Are there Amateur
Ops

in MD? I hope I am wrong, but I don't ever remember working an Op there in
any

contest. The only WY station I heard did not acknowledge a correction in my

call, so I took a chance and duped him on purpose later, and dag-nab-it if
he

did not mess my call up again and I am still not sure if he corrected it.  I

always try and resend a corrected call as a courtesy to the other station if

blow it the first time around, most Ops do, not sure why others can't do the

same.

All-in-all the station here worked well which includes the Icom Pro's,
microHAM

interface and WriteLog. Look for my log in LoTW later today and if you need

card, not a problem either. Hopefully this will be a good start towards the

ARRL Triple Play Award, for that, thanks to all who play the game.

HNY, Eric - Ve3gsi.