[RTTY] RTTY and Emergency Communication

sjolin sjolin at swbell.net
Tue Jan 6 11:28:37 EST 2009

Lee, I presume the reason that RTTY is rarely used for emergency
communication is its lack of error correction. There are so many other
digital modes available that have various levels of error correction built
in.

It's my understanding that a high percentage of emergency communications in
this country are handled by digital modes now, both by amateurs and by
various governmental entities. Unfortunately, it seems much of this is
handled using Pactor III with its proprietary hardware.

73 de Dave, N0IT