[RTTY] RTTY and Emergency Communication - Part II

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Tue Jan 6 22:12:40 EST 2009

I've enjoyed reading all the comments here on the reflector concerning using RTTY in an EMCOM situation.  Yes, I understand about all the other good FEC type communication modes.  But, let me build a senario here....

Your in New Orleans.
Hurricane just went past
Lots of people in need
Lots of Health and Welfar Messages.

Note:  I've been a ham for 41 years and cut my CW teeth on the NTS traffic system as a teanager.  I;ve been in situations where I had to send "books" of messages in a H&W senario.  So, I do have some experience in doing this.

How are you going to handle 10,000 - 50,000 messages by voice or CW.  Oh yes, it can be done!  I wonder if anyone remembers the format for CW (look at the SS exchange).

If the right planning took place, knowing that you would need batteries, generators, and all the equipment to run RTTY, I think the mode would pass traffic so much more quickly.  Really, this would be an after the fact situation...not really the first responder type of thing.

RTTY could transmitt message to others which could then cut and paste in an email client and send on the message. Or call on your cell phone because you have an unlimited plan.  By networking two computers together (or three or four) you could have people inputing messages while the RTTY transmit station makes the transmission of the file.  Like a brag file.  Networking the computers together is not big deal.  Lots of FD operations do it now!  All you need is a hub/switch and cables.  Use Windows or Linux and you got a network.

I bet you could roll quite a few messages out into the ether in an hours time.  Just let her run and ID every 10 minutes.  But...this would have to be all planned and tested before hand too.

At least you would not have to lug the ASR 33 or the Model 19 out into the field.  I remember having this stuff in trucks...well now you can have an RTTY station in a suit case including the xmitter/antenna/eetc/.

Just a thought.....and I guess I have to much time on my hands.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense divine?