[RTTY] Soundcard and Serial ports

Rick Ruhl ricker at cssincorp.com
Sun Jan 25 21:48:09 EST 2009

Dave.

Back when you worked for Rational though, it was in a commercial market and
on the leading edge of development too, you didn't have much shareware and
freeware to compete with. I was at Software Link then and it was an entirely
difference universe and market than ham radio.

In fact Rational Rose (and then after you guys bought Visual Test) made IBM
realized how valuable the tools were and then bought Rational.

Your freeware stuff is some of the best out there, commercial or not, by
far.  In fact, Im sure it would easily sell on the open market for
$100-$200, but there is crappier freeware and shareware out there written by
hams who have no clue about software development, and hams would rather use
that because it's FREE, than even your good stuff, much less quality
commercial software.

There is also a mentality in our small industry that if you're a ham, you
shouldn't charge other hams for software. That's nuts. Who else but a
software developer who is a ham that would know the needs of what hams want
and need in ham radio.

But what I think freeware does is take away from possible good products by
taking market share away.  The ham market is a cottage market, that there is
no way development companies can hire good coders, testers, QA, doc and
support people. This means that it costs JOBS and god knows we need in this
economy, we need to create jobs.

And this would means jobs for hams in the ham industry.

Rick - W4PC