[RTTY] BARTG Sprint Rules Questions

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:27:59 EST 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:04:03 -0600, Peter Laws <plaws0 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Known bad data should always be purged from any database.
<snip>

REPLY:

In a way I agree with your feelings above, but I see the ARRL's point
too, or what I think is their point.

I haven't talked to anyone at the ARRL about it but I have seen many
posts on the subject and I'm thinking that their concern is folks
getting in and messing around in the LoTW database. The idea of
thousands of hams being able to go in and edit QSOs, delete them, move
them from one callsign to another, etc, etc, gives me the willies. I
completely understand their concern.

Even highly skilled IT professionals have been known to accidentally
mess up a database. Tuning loose thousands of amateurs (pun intended)
could be a nightmare.

Under the circumstances, and if the ARRL doesn't minding wasting disk
space, their way is probably is the best of two bad choices. It seems
to be working as intended.

73, Bill W6WRT