[RTTY] Software

aa5au at bellsouth.net aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 29 16:48:03 EST 2009

From: Kok Chen <chen at mac.com>
> IMHO, WF1B was singularly responsible for bringing RTTY contesting
> from the Gutenberg age into the 20th century.

This is 100% true.  Before RTTY by WF1B, I used a homebrew TU and homebrew software written in CP/M with a Heathkit H89 computer.  When my Dad upgraded to a DOS machine, he gave me his H89 and I was able to log on one H89 using a text editor while RTTY contesting with the other H89 - no more hand written logs!  This was the basis for my ability to operate two computers at the same time during RTTY contests and eventually led to the start of my SO2R experimentations.  I first experimented SO2R RTTY contesting using WF1B on two separate computers.  By dedicating one radio to 15/40 meters and the other to 10/20/80 and merging the logs after the contest, I could run SO2R somewhat efficiently using just two stubs.

Even today, and now having two PC's networked, I still dedicate one radio to 15/40 and the other to 10/20/80.  With Dunestar filters and a WX0B SixPak I do have the ability to put either radio on any band with any antenna, but the concept of 15/40 for one radio and 10/20/80 for the other radio still works best for me.

Ray was the guy that put it all together with his program.  Even though RTTY by WF1B was not designed for SO2R, with the ability to merge logs after the contest, it was the start of something huge.

LONG LIVE KING RAY!

73, Don AA5AU