[RTTY] Two Questions from a New Kid to the Group

Marty Bluhm w8aks55 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:28:08 PDT 2009

Good Evening.
Looking through the archives and recognizing many calls that I've worked in
contests, I feel I can ask these questions without getting laughed at too
badly <lol>

First, I upgraded the station to a new IC746PRO which I'm running FSK to a
Rigblaster Plus (properly configured for fsk - used with 850SAT and
reconfigured for Icom)..

Problem 1 and driving me crazy - In the last NAQP RTTY test, in the
beginning of the test running fsk, I could not work anybody, even Don. After
a hour of climbing walls, I configured to afsk and the contacts started
rolling. Since then and actually before the test, I made some rtty contacts
with fsk. However, they have involved a considerable amount of work. I have
checked the output by printing the 746 station onto the 850 rtty station. It
prints good i.e. no inv fsk or ptt. With the heavy contest season starting
shortly, I would like to put this behind me. Does anyone have any
suggestions on possible problems/corrections?

The second request is not a problem. With the new 746Pro, I have the option
of building filters. I have never been so blessed.  I know the 746 is
similar to the 756Pro series. Can you recommend some filters to utlize in
rtty contesting. In the NAQP, I was using 250 and 500 plus 2.2 for the
normal filter. I can build 3 filters. Again, any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I'll see yall in SARTG from WV.
73

Marty
W8AKS