[RTTY] Fun, but

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Mar 1 19:03:26 PST 2009

This reminded me of the station I found on 80m calling "CQ LOTW for WAS"
with the string of states he was looking for. It just so happened MN was one
he needed. I dropped my callsign on him.

He came back to me with RST, local time of day, city, state, county,
maidenhead, power, radios being used, antennas, temperature outside,
relative humidity, and about two minutes of other useful information. I was
scrambling to find pen and paper to get it all logged.

Of course he didn't send his name so I had to ask for that. But I could hear
him cheering that he just bagged another LoTW user that would put him closer
to his goal.

Then I suggested he tune up the band and join in the ARRL RTTY contest that
was in progress where he could most likely find every state he was looking
for within the next couple of hours. He was really low in the band, as I
recall. I don't know whether he joined in or not.

Sitting here thinking about this reminded me of an old cartoon I used to
have pinned up on the board in my office. It was the King on his horse in
armor, mounted for battle with his lance and his knights ready to ride off.
There's a servant tugging on the King's leg trying to get his attention.
Behind the King's horse is a guy in a suit, with a briefcase in one hand,
holding a machine gun in the other. The King is saying "I don't have time to
talk to any salesman, can't you see I have a battle to fight?"

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN