[RTTY] I just have to ask

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Sat Mar 7 13:51:35 PST 2009

I've been following this thread with great interest. The 'spirit' of a
contest (RTTY or otherwise) is in the peaceful participation by all with
the least amount of disruption to others.

When the 'spirit' of the contest clashes with reality, it gives one pause.
When those in charge of a contest make undocumented and off the cuff rule
changes --even if they happen to reflect common sense -- many will take
offense. After all, who is able to follow the rules when they are changed
on the fly?

On the other hand, there needs to be a measure of common sense by the
participants.

What I see, of course, is NEITHER. There is no longer a sense of fair
play by many contesters, who strive to achieve another point at the
expense of anyone on the band -- regardless of mode. And the contest
'leaders/managers/etc' are inclined to dictate behavior rather than
emulate it.

Such is the current state of contesting. Common sense is no longer common.

As a former contester, after reflection on these affairs, I no longer
participate in such mele-s'. During a contest, look for me on 18 or 12.

A thought: "A KIND WORD TURNETH AWAY WRATH."

73 de Phil - N8PS