[RTTY] RTTY AMPLIFIER QUESTION..

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 07:51:16 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:00:25 -0700, "Jack West" <w7ld at theriver.com>
wrote:

>I have been wondering about operating HF Amplifiers in RTTY mode.
>It seems logical to me that when I run FSK it should be OK to operate
>my amp in "CLASS C" vice a linear class of CLASS B or AB2.

REPLY:

Correct, RTTY as used on HF is a form of FM. FM does not require a
linear amplifier. Class C (or any class) will do fine.

Slightly off topic - because RTTY is actually FM it generally creates
less TVI and EMI than other, amplitude-varying modes. Whatever
rectification is present, such as in telephones, amplifiers, etc,
produces only a DC signal and rarely causes any problem. That is not
to say RTTY is completely free of causing interference - there can
still be fundamental blocking (overload) and harmonics, but overall
the problems are greatly reduced.

 One of my favorite features. :-)

73, Bill W6WRT