[RTTY] RTTY Contesting

Stu Ritter ritter at privatei.com
Tue Mar 24 12:44:11 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm a contesting newbie.
I've been away from HF in any form for 15 years and am
just starting up again. I've done 2 RTTY tests and really
enjoyed it. A lot different than it was 20 years ago! I was
a TTY'er in the Army in the early 60's.

I live on a smallish city lot and have my tower on my roof
with a C4 at 33 feet. That's all I can do! I was thinking that
it would be nice to have another antenna besides the yagi.
I really do not have room to put up efficient wire antennas
due to lack of height. I worked the BARTG with 40 and 80
meter dipoles with peak height of 30 feet. Not too good. The
80 wire had loading coils due to lack of room.

I've thought a vertical mounted on the roof at 13 feet would
be a good second antenna, either for just 40/80 and or a
multi-band version like a Butternut HF6V.

I'd like to have some feedback from experienced RTTY
contesters.

thanks,

Stu
N0LEF