[RTTY] RTTY Contesting and Verticals

WS7I ws7i at ewarg.org
Fri Mar 27 09:05:58 PDT 2009

Just thought I would add some comments on Verticals.  I have used butternuts for some time in various configurations.  I started with it roof mounted using the kit from butternut with about 10 additional radials.

That worked the best BTW.

Later I ground mounted it and had rather extensive radials as I installed them prior to putting in a lawn.  I then tried phasing two of the butternuts but that never worked as well as a 2-element old Hygain yagi at 40 feet on 40 meters.

The best butternut I have ever used was at Hal Blegens back in our eary contest days. It was mounted on top of his tower at just over 100 feet.  Hard to believe some of the stuff we did to try and get a single tower M/S station going.

That was one band opening and closing antenna and it worked on all bands 10-80 quite well.

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by ClamAV]