[RTTY] How to Score VOLTA RTTY

Kevin H. Phillips kh-phillips at 9-5usa.org
Mon May 11 09:42:03 PDT 2009

I have another question about scoring.  Am I correct (or wrong) in
believing that I get one multiplier for *each* U.S. or Canadian call
zone worked per band?

[COUNTRIES: ARRL DXCC Country list plus each call-area in Australia,
Canada, Japan, New
Zealand and the USA will be counted as a separate country. In those
cases, the ‘‘main’’ Country
multiplier (JA-VE-VK-W-ZL) DOES NOT COUNT and ONLY each worked call-area
(JA1..0,
VE1...0, VK1..8, W1...0, ZL1...ZL4) can be considered.]

If I can do this, then my multipliers increase considerably.

This was my first RTTY contest to work.  I did it with a mechanical
teletype (Model 15) interfaced with my Yaesu FT-1000 rig through a
Dovetron terminal unit and a one-transistor circuit from the RS-232
output of the Dovetron to key the FSK circuit in the Yaesu.  I made 51
contacts with this setup.  Assuming that most people participating (?)
are using computers and MMTTY, or similar programs, one thing I noticed
was lack of Carriage Return and Line Feed at the end of transmissions.
A friend of mine (former Navy radioman who used MMTTY to monitor the
contest) commented on confusion about callsigns because of "garbage"
printing on MMTTY if a space or "K" or Carriage Return was not used at
the end of a transmission.  I had to ask some stations to repeat their
exchanges several times because of overprinting.

I enjoyed the contest very much.  I did not get to spend as much time
working it as I would have liked but will look forward to another
opportunity to hunt-and-peck on my machines.

73
Kevin
KE5CQJ