[RTTY] MMTTY macro setup question

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML ar at dseven.org
Mon Oct 12 10:18:06 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM, David VE3VID <ve3vid at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody.  With some good help from the group I have MTTY working and made my first RTTY contact on Saturday :) UA3PAB.  I'm setting up the macro keys and wondering what is the function of the 'EE' macro and the 'RY' macro.  RY also appears in the stock CQ macros........... ???

The letters "R" and "Y" are represented by 01010 and 10101, so sending
them alternately will test both states of all five bits. This was a
useful test on the old mechanical teletype machines, and it has been
carried forward as a popular test pattern, but it doesn't really serve
any particularly useful purpose with the software we use now.

The letter "E" is 10000 - perhaps it was used to test a single bit? Not sure...

    ~Iain / N6ML