[RTTY] K4M on RTTY

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 22:16:31 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 22:07:19 -0500, "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a at mchsi.com> wrote:

>The only spot for the Midwest on 17 meters was KK0M. He is in CA, not the
>Midwest. 17 isn't open to Iowa at 0300 UTC. Unless K4M runs RTTY on 20
>meters between 1800-2200 UTC, the Midwest won't work them. Peak 17 meter
>propagation is between 2000-2100 UTC. They haven't been there.

REPLY:

I had the same experience with the recent Glorioso DXPedition. They worked 20
meters CW and RTTY the first day and I never heard them again on 20 the whole
time. I heard them many times on 17, but very weak. My QTH is pretty close to
halfway around the world from Glorioso and with the sunspots as they are, 17 is
not a good band from here. 20 would have been far better, but for some reason
they avoided it. Perhaps the pileups were too much that first day and they
thinned the herd by going to 17. I did manage to work them on 17 SSB but never
did get them on CW or RTTY on any band.

Note to self: Stop whining. It's only a hobby.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT