[RTTY] GU0SUP - JARTS SOABLP

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Oct 19 10:01:25 PDT 2009

Hello one and all,

How pleasant it is to have the SFI a little higher! OK, it needs to go
WAAAAYYY higher yet, but it seems to be a start!

I had intended to make a real go at this contest, and operate for as many
hours as I could, but a couple of household chores just had to be done, and
I did not get to start until after lunch on Saturday.
The afternoon was great, with a few nice runs going, but by dusk, 20m had
died here, and the lower bands were extremely noisy.
It was great to see W6/7 and VE6/7 once again on 20m, and all had signals
like EU stations. Dick KS0M was a nice signal, and a pleasure to work once
more. And what a pleasure to get called by VE6YR too! Usually, I call him,
but this time he found me!

The plan was to be up and in the shack by 0500UTC on Sunday morning, and
putting a few W call area mults in the log on 80 and 40. Great idea, but I
slept through till about 0615UTC, by which time it was light here. So, no
W's on 80m, but I was called by W1BV on 40m at 0723UTC, which is way after
sunrise.
Got on to 20m by about 0740UTC, and worked a few JA mults, but 20m wasn't
quite playing ball. Had a look at 15m, and was amazed to work loads of JA
stations.

Some odd propagation on 20m too, as I worked G3SNU and MW0CRI there, which
is most unusual.
By around 1800UTC, 20m had died, and it was galling to see so many spots for
mults on 15m during the afternoon, when the band was totally quiet here. I
was also annoyed that K4M was being spotted on 10.140MHz, but I had no copy
whatsoever. All I could hear were the PSK stations and a couple of
"ditters".

I ended up calling it a day at 1843UTC on Sunday, as I had the tea to cook,
and after that, the phone didn't stop ringing. Loads of relatives all
phoning to see how things were! By the time tea was finished, and relatives
had been satisfied, I was too tired to bother going back to the shack.

Comparing my efforts this year to previous years, the lack of mults on 40/80
and 15m were to blame for the poor score.

Interesting to see so many new calls on the bands. A few seemed to have
problems with macros, either left over from CQWW, or they didn't read the
rules! W2MF sent me 05 05, but I never got a reply to my request for AGE, so
he wasn't logged.
The cluster seemed to cause some hassle too. There were way too many spots
for "DX", only to find the very call that spotted the DX in that frequency.
I also saw my call spotted on 20m, which was wrong, as I was S&P at the
time. Not good practice!
Also amusing were the few calls that asked for AGE AGN when they got 00 or
99! READ THE RULES is all I can say.
During my CQ sessions, there were quite a few that would not listen, and
called right over an exchange, meaning repeats had to be asked for, and
still they call! At one point, I had a UT station call me, during an
exchange, and he called again during the repeat, and when I finally called
him, he asked me to QSY to 15m for a mult for him! What is it with some
folk?
And the last gripe is about those stations that come and work me, then park
themselves about 100Hz up or down from me, then call CQ with 1kW. I suspect
they think that stuff coming to work me will then move on to them, but I am
not sure that is a good move. It mostly means I have to QSY as I just can't
compete with the power. And then there are just a few that work me, then
decide to work any DX that calls me, effectively bouncing me off the
frequency. Again, I can't compete with the power.
Oh well, it's all good fun, isn't it!

Here is my claimed score:
 	 QSOs	Points	DX:	Call Areas
80m: 	19	38	15	0
40m:	83	172	30	2
20m:	222	536	38	20
15m:	56	136	13	10
10m:	0	0	0	0
Total:	380	882
Total multipliers:	128
Claimed Score:		112896

And here is a breakdown of the bands:
80m Summary
Countries
DL     F      G      HB     I      OH     OK     ON     OZ     PA
S5     SP     UR     YL     Z3

Call Areas           NONE!

40m Summary
Countries
4L     9A     DL     EA     EU     F      GM     HA     HB     I
IS     LA     OE     OH     OK     OM     ON     OZ     PA     S5
SM     SP     UA     UA9    UN     UR     YL     YO     YU     Z3

Call Areas
K1
VK3

20m Summary
Countries
4L     5B     9A     CN     DL     E7     EA     ES     EU     EX
G      GW     HA     HS     I      LA     LY     LZ     OE     OH
OK     OM     OZ     PA     S5     SM     SP     TF     UA     UA9
UN     UR     YB     YL     YO     YU     Z3     ZC4

Call Areas
K0   K1   K2   K3   K4   K5   K6   K7   K8   K9
VK4
VE1  VE2  VE3  VE6  VE7  VE9
JA1  JA3  JA8

15m Summary
Countries
4X     ER     EU     I      IS     LA     OH     UA     UA9    UN
UR     YU     ZC4

Call Areas
K3   K4   K5
JA1  JA3  JA4  JA5  JA6  JA7  JA9

Thanks to all for the fun. My log is already on LoTW, but - as usual - paper
cards are always welcomed.

73 all, and see you in the next one!

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091018-0, 18/10/2009
Tested on: 19/10/2009 18:01:25