[RTTY] 160 METER RTTY CONTESTING

W1BYH at aol.com W1BYH at aol.com
Tue Oct 27 20:12:06 PDT 2009

It has been interesting to read the postings re: 160 meter RTTY contesting.
 Thought I would add my 2-cents worth of  observations:

First, I would be entirely in favor of running a separate contest for 160M
RTTY, and not adding it to any of the existing contests, as it would add a
specific disadvantage to those contesters who are really
antenna-challenged,  site wise.

Those of us who are able to have anything reasonable up for a 160 antenna
would be on a somewhat level playing field if only on 160. I am fortunate to
be  able to run a dipole (just barely) on my city lot, but have no
possibility of a  beverage or two !  I have, however, been able to work the west
coast and  Europe on RTTY with no problems from my small station.  Copying
stations on  160 or 80 meters RTTY here have not been a problem.

For those that feel there is too much of an infringement by adding some
RTTY operation on 160, I have not seen that to be any problem sharing with CW
and SSB operations. Although I don't spend much time on 160, I have
contested on  both modes with reasonable success.

Anyone who feels there are no bands that are contest-free need to look at
12, 17, 30 and 60, where there are no contests !  I don't see anything
sacred about preserving 160 for CW and SSB solely.All three modes are authorized
 for the entire band in the U.S.

A short contest, i.e. 6-8 hours using a grid locator format, such as Stew
Perry or Makrothen would provide a nice level playing field and prevent some
of  us old-timers from falling asleep at the keys!

Maybe we can get a sample test going,  informally, sometime this  season.

See you on 160 RTTY !!

73 Norm  W1BYH