[RTTY] Zone sent as letters?

Paul Playford paul at w8aef.com
Mon Sep 28 11:51:22 PDT 2009

Sorry, I said zones when I should have said states.

During my first rtty contest I sent '599 03' as a macro for my report.  My
second contact reported that I was sending '599 PE' so I changed the macro
to '599-{EXCH}' and had no futher problems.

During the CQWW DX RTTY contest I received several '599 ZZ SS' with wierd -
very wierd - states.

Two q's I made note of were N2QP and KW3W (hope you guys are reading this)
and then during a lull in my rate I went to QRZ.com for the correct state.

But when I went back into my log to make the correction neither call is
there.  So rather than break my run rythm with repeats or guesses I must
have just acknowledged the qsos and then deleted them.  How many times did
this happen?  Maybe a dozen times out of 1284 contacts?

Or maybe I remembered that I am not supposed to make changes to my log after
the contest.

Never did I receive a wierd zone or state when the hypen was present.

Don't know or care what the difference is but if it ain't broke - don't fix
it.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG  TX5D