[RTTY] Zone sent as letters?

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 19:03:47 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:40:42 -0600, Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

>But isn't there a figs just before 25 in each case?  Isn't there a
>possibility that *that* figs could take a hit, leaving you with TOO WT
>25 or TOO WT WT or TOO 25 WT?  So now you've wasted transmitter power
>sending the extra unshift/figs sequence, and you're no better off.

REPLY:

Not so. To get TOO WT WT you would need to have THREE garbled FIGS shift
characters at just the wrong time. Even I am not that unlucky.

Much more likely you would get only one hit and you would print either TOO 25 25
or 599 WT 25 or 599 25 WT.  To me any one of those is far preferable to
TOOAWTAWT.

Remember the extra FIGS character (which you don't see) takes only 167
milliseconds to transmit. If your  print is garbled at the other end and he
requests a repeat, that could easily take ten seconds to request and send. In
wasting ten seconds, you have used up the time savings of 72 hyphens.

Your call.

73, Bill W6WRT