[RTTY] Run vs. Search and Pounce

Gert Erik - K5WW gert.k5ww at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:41:19 PDT 2009

>   ³CALL CQ BECAUSE THE RARE ONES DO NOT HAVE TO²
>
>REPLY:
>
> Maybe I'm a little denser than normal today, but this makes no sense.
>
> It is true the rare ones don't have to call CQ, but that's because they
> sit on
> one freq and run the pileup hour after hour. Even if things pause for a
> moment,
> a short CQ starts the pileup again.  Never do they have to go looking for
> my
> little CQ. Unless I go S&P'ing for them, I won't ever work them.
>
> So what is the meaning of the advice?
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Hi Bill.

I remember similar advice from my Elmers, when I got into contesting. The
advice then inlcuded ".... OR DO NOT WANT TO". And I believe that describes
them better.

Point being: many of those rare ones do not want to deal with pileups. They
may run for a short while to get the adrenalin going; but soon get tired of
it. Not always because they can't handle a pileup; but simply because they
don't want to - because some pileups get nasty (as you know) - and they get
sick of it.

Instead, they'll switch to S&P eventually, and a more relaxed way of
contesting. Not all of them are in it to win, so they don't care if they
"score good" or not...

Makes sense now?

73,

K5WW