[RTTY] What causes RTTY with longish character spacing?

Junior charlesw_anderso at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 29 14:02:37 PDT 2009

Jim,
 I was ragchewing one day with a w7 who was using a K3 in AFSK-D mode who
had similar symptoms.
His sig was strong enough for a good copy. When I listened the signal
actually sounded like it would slow down after he sent a few characters. I
don't think it was really slowing down but it was the time between the space
and shifts that made it sound like it was. I think one of the w8's in the
contest actually types during the test
I was in a qso with an 8p using a K3 in fsk and did not notice it.
And yes the AFSK tones sounded higher than the FSK ones.
I think the learned Mr Kok posted something on here about the K3's in AFSK-D
mode.
73
Charles/kk5oq