[RTTY] MMTTY tail

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Sep 29 16:47:57 PDT 2009

Jim,

> This "tail" message made me remember another problem I saw
> during the contest.  Several stations had the last letter or
> two of the end of their transmission cut off!  This makes it
> hard to copy a callsign at the end of an exchange.  I had to
> wait for some folks to start CQing, hoping they would send
> thier call twice, to pick it up correctly.

This can also be a symptom of an incorrect buffer setting in
a traditional UART based serial port.  Some software just
"dumps" the message to the UART and then drops PTT after an
arbitrary (short) delay.  Unfortunately, the newer UARTs have
much larger buffers than the earlier ones and there are often
characters still in the buffer when the PT is dropped.

First thing to do is open Windows Device Manager, select the
serial port | Port Settings | Advanced and uncheck "Use FIFO
buffers" or set the Transmit Buffer size to "Low" (1).

The other thing is to always end a macro with two or three
spaces!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV