[RTTY] What causes RTTY with longish character spacing?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Sep 29 17:28:26 PDT 2009

> I use Writelog/MMTTY.
> Why would you not use the limiting speed setting then?

Yes, you should be using "limiting speed" with MMTTY.

> I have tried the Strict BPS setting and it was distinctly
> slower.

It is slower but not excessively slow considering that the
alternative is a major problem (early PTT drop, buffer
issues, etc.) for FSK users.

> In a big contest like last weekend, it would mean many
> contacts lost due to the longer time to get through each
> contact.

"Longer time to get through each contact" is only a
factor if you are running and never have to call CQ
more than once.  If you don't have someone tail-ending
every QSO, the time to complete a QSO is no longer a
limiting factor as you have "slack" time.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV