[RTTY] RTTY contest questions and comments

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Wed Sep 30 10:28:09 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Having now kinda recovered from the contest, I thought I would also add a
few comments.
The main problem is that most folk on this reflector already know what ought
to be done. It is those that do NOT subscribe that usually cause us all
frustration.

But, as Bob K0RC said, we should all be aware of changing conditions, and
adapt macros accordingly.
When responding to a CQ call, I usually send DE GU0SUP GU0SUP GU0SUP and I
find this is the better option for me.
Sending my call twice often results in AGN?? but 3 times almost always
solves the problem.
For some of the big guns in EU, I can usually just send (CR)GU0SUP(CR) and
get away with that, but my low power and amall antennas often mean I have to
send the proper macro.
Regarding the exchange, I had to resort to K0RC TU 599 14 14 K0RC DE GU0SUP
simply because others often called when I was making the exchange, and they
"assumed" the report was for them.
I did try K0RC TU 599 14 14 K0RC, but then got back (for example) GA0FDM TU
599....... etc.
Whether this was caused by the two of us being close and both CQ'ing, or
someone just didn't read the call, I don't know, but it happened too many
times to be a coincidence.

My main pet hate are those stations that work me, then sit about 100 Hz away
and call CQ.  Interestingly/annoyingly, it is often the same stations that
do this contest after contest.

Not only in this contest, but most, are the folk that never send a callsign
when replying.
I call CQ, get a few callers, pick one and send a report, but only ever get
back TU 599 14 K.
Once or twice I logged what I assumed to be the call I was responding to,
only to get them call again later.

And my biggest annoyance for CQWW RTTY?
Working FT5GA, seeing him query my call, me sending RRR, seeing him tell
US0HZ to QRX, sending me an exchange again, I see (amongst the garbled
characters) a TU, and log him, only to find I am now NOT in the log!
If anyone knows US0HZ, tell him THANKS A BUNCH from me!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090929-0, 29/09/2009
Tested on: 30/09/2009 18:28:09