[RTTY] Fw: [rigblaster] Fw: Rigblaster Plug & Play Question

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Apr 30 09:15:14 PDT 2010

 > As far as I can tell the only advantage to pure FSK is that some
 > radios have pre programmed narrow RTTY filters inside the AGC loop
 > may not let you program the radio's SBB filters to keep strong
 > adjacent stations from killing the RF gain.

The narrow IF filters are a significant advantage, not only for the
AGC protection but in preventing IMD generation.

 > Otherwise the DSP audio filtering in a program like MMTTY is far
 > superior than any radio's IF filters.

No audio DSP can prevent the AGC and IMD problems.  By the time the
detected audio reaches the software, the damage has been done.

However, there is a whole list of potential problems on the transmit
side with improperly generated AFSK ... including distortion in the
mic input, hum, clipping/clicks if the SSB compressor is engaged, and
external (SSB) audio from open mics and/or other programs accessing
the soundcard.

Those who promote AFSK, particularly with transceivers that have a
dedicated FSK mode and lack the ability to mute the microphone in
"digital mode" operation, do a disservice to both the customer and
amateur operation in general a disservice.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV