[RTTY] Why is 40 Meter contesting in CW segment?

Roger Cooke g3ldi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 01:31:57 PST 2010

Just noticed these comments about the placement of RTTY on 40 metres. In the UK,
our bandplan says that
we operate RTTY in the 7030 region. We have been upsetting the QRP CW guys for
some time, especially
in contests. At our recent Spectrum meeting, as Chairman of BARTG, I suggested
that now that we have the
extension to 40 metres, i.e. 7000 to 7200, it would make eminently more sense to
transfer the data section to
the more "normal" part of the band, i.e. 7080 - 7100.
   Unfortunately, there are still some Region 1 countries that are not enjoying
the extension, and that frequency
is being used for SSB. It seems a little unfair when SSB has a huge part of the
band, i.e. 7060 to 7200 but

there is not much we can do YET to achieve this aim. I shall keep pushing for
it, but I think we will have to

wait until those other countries have the extension in bandwidth too.
  Now, wouldn't it be nice to go back to what 40 metres used to be........

 Regards from Roger, G3LDI
Swardeston, Norfolk.