[RTTY] Why is 40 Meter contesting in CW segment?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Dec 5 07:06:08 PST 2010

> The 40 metre band is in need of some international sorting. Just
> listen to it during the weekend of the CQWW SSB test. I heard SSB
> right to the bottom end of the band, 7002, would you believe! RTTY
> also spreads during the same contest and similar, so we really
> should get out of the way of the CW guys.

Since SSB typically requires more than 25 times the bandwidth of
a CW signal (100 Hz vs. 2700 Hz), a more "fair" division of the
available 200 KHz would be 7000 - 7035 for CW, 7035-7070 for
RTTY (data modes > 300 Hz should be prohibited) and SSB above
7070.  ESSB and data modes more than 300 Hz wide should be
completely prohibited.   The Region 1 band plan that allows only
10 KHz for digital modes is, quite simply, absurd and unrealistic.

One could allow for some flexibility during major operating events
(e.g., contests) but SSB down to 7002 is a bit "over the top."

As far as the QRP CW boys, they should simply "suck it up" and deal
with the QRM like everyone else.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV