[RTTY] How was your WPX RTTY?

Ed Muns w0yk at msn.com
Mon Feb 15 05:44:12 PST 2010

Hind sight is 20-20, of course, but a SB 15 would have been a lot of fun
this weekend.  It looks like more people chose 20 over 15, probably based on
the past few years experience.  But, take a look at the multiband entries,
and you'll find 15 QSO totals larger than 20 in many cases.  In my case,
running on 20 and 15 simultaneously plus a bit of 20 and 40 together, I had
974 on 15 vs. 787 on 20.  That tells the story, which I think is more due to
activity than propagation.  That is, with 15 open so nicely, the casual ops
(90% of total participation) were on 15 more than 20.  Look at band totals
on 10 and 15 back at the solar max ... it is incredible.  In those years, a
lot of QSOs are with 5 watt mobile 10 (or 15) meter stations in downtown
Tokyo or Melbourne!  15 was open to JA two hours after local sunset here and
that is a long haul path.  That has been rare for the past several years but
commonplace at the solar cycle peak.

In WPX, your rate on 20 has to be 2x your 40 rate to justify being there
when 40 is open.  Of course, with SO2R you need to trade 20 off with 80
rates during the nighttime hours.  And, then once you get SO3R perfected you
can run on 20/40/80 all night long!

Ed - P49X (W0YK)
Muns Vineyard
www.munsvineyard.com