[RTTY] How was your WPX RTTY?

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Mon Feb 15 11:10:57 PST 2010

Hello All,

The increased activity along with improved propagation made for a fun
Contest.   A relative large number of new (at least to me) RTTY contesters
was logged based on the WL SCP.  Welcome and hope you had fun - join us for
the next one.

Finding 15 in relatively good shape was a surprise except it disrupted my
Contest plan.  My pre-Contest thinking was 15 would close up, if even
opened, around 1600z yet still be too early for 40 to be active from
Virginia to Europe (second radio).  The pre-Contest plan was to take a
couple of hours nap and return to the shack for an extended time on 40/80.
However, the 15 m propagation from Virginia to Europe lasted longer than
planned.  Only able to take a short nap.  Other part of the pre Contest plan
was to take some time off Sunday afternoon (LT) to watch the NASCAR Daytona
500 Race.  Usually the Race last approx. 3 hours plus, except for this year
when it took over 6 hours.  End up watching the end of the Race on the TV in
the shack while trying to run SO2R.

Never did get to fix before WPX RTTY Contest the West Beverage found to not
be working during the XE RTTY Contest the previous weekend.  A lot of snow
was received in this area the weekend of the XE Contest and in the week
leading up to WPX Contest (new winter snow fall record).  By the WPX
weekend, the day - night temp. swing had caused some of the snow to turn
into ice.  The snow/ice combo. was my excuse for not getting out to try and
fix the Beverage.  However, got fed up not having the Beverage Fri. night
and during my Sat. break braved the elements to fix it.  Problem was the
wire going to the matching xfmr box from the ant. had broke (looked like it
had been chewed - possibly by a squirrel?).  Twisted the ends together and
solved that problem.  (By the way, never was able to see the matching xfmr
box as it was buried too deep under the snow/ice.  Tried to free it from the
snow/ice but was afraid of damaging it trying to breaking through the ice.)

The Contest seemed to start slow, similar to what Ed, P49X, experienced and
reported in his post Contest write-up.  Fortunately, after the first hour
the pace picked up and was able to almost make an average of 100 QSOs per
hour for the full thirty hours.  Thought this objective might be realized
until the last several hours.  Then the rate dipped far enough below the 100
per hour to miss the average of 100 QSOs per hour for the Contest period.
This was not a goal at the start of the Contest, but seemed possible for me
once the above 100 QSOs per hour rate was realized for a number of hours.
Maybe next year.

My goal for the 2010 WPX RTTY Contest was to increase my score making it
harder for Ty, K3MM, to win the SOAB HP NA category.  Ty had been beating me
by approx. 1 million points the last couple of years.  This year my raw
score was over 2.5 m more than last year's.  Not sure how Ty did this year.
Will I again be disappointed?:>(  Just kidding as it is always fun to
compete against the best.

The "old" radios, IC746s (modified), and all the homemade equipment seems
worked well.  Kind of fun getting the max. out of the "old" radios.  The use
of the front end attenuator makes it possible to still use the "old" radios
even when experiencing a near-by encroaching loud station.  Maybe will
replace the "old" radios for next year's Contest as the bands are getting
more crowded making filter bleed through become more evident on the MMTTY
spectrum display.

A big station change this year was getting the PTT to not drop at
inopportune times.  Don, AA5AU, gave me the info., several weeks ago, on
what was wrong with my original set-up.  Once his fix was incorporated, no
more random PTT drop outs running a macro.  A big relief to know when a
macro key is pushed, it will be transmitted to completion.  Thanks, again,
Don.

Hope you all had as much fun this weekend as I did.  See you in the next
one.

  Mike, K4GMH