[RTTY] SO2R in WPX RTTY

k3mm at verizon.net k3mm at verizon.net
Tue Feb 16 12:52:42 PST 2010

Well, I think you have to understand that usually in SO2R you can set up a rythym and it appears seamless.  However, when someone you are working gets long winded or you need a repeat it's easy to get messed up.  So when both QSO's break at exactly the same time, you have to make a choice which one gets the first call and the other has to wait.  The savvy SO2R op can minimize this pain a lot of times, but there is no way to eliminate it completely.  I think it's also likely that some of this is single TX stations that just "lost it" or got befuddled.  I've had them completely disappear mid-QSO and then come back 5 minutes later like nothing wierd happened.

My general rule is if someone comes back slowly and is holding me up on the other radio, I make them wait for their confirmation rather than making the fast guy pay.

However, if someone comes back to me and just gives me a "599nnn" with no callsign and no repeat, they will have to wait...and they may have to wait for me to say "agn agn " because I wont normally accept a number sent one time on a weak or crowded signal as correct.  So take 5 seconds to send a proper exchange sending the number at least twice...and please correct the callsign if it isnt correct!

73, Ty K3MM