[RTTY] Kenwood IF filters ???

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Feb 18 19:44:31 PST 2010

> That would be me and the majority of RTTY contesters. I will
> accept a 6 dB loss on the desired signal if I can attenuate
> the other station by 20, 30, or 40 dB. It can mean the difference
> whether you can copy the guy on your frequency or not.

The concern is not so much the loss as the phase distortion
that occurs when the signal is on the skirts of the filter.
Phase distortion causes "smearing" of the bit transitions
much like multipath and is a particular problem when the
desired signal is closest to the noise floor.

The difference  between 400 Hz with an effective shape factor
of 1.6 (cascaded 400 Hz) and 250 Hz with an effective shape
factor of 1.8 (cascaded 250 Hz) at -30 or -40dB is less than
the width of an RTTY signal.

If you want something sharper than the cascaded "400 Hz" pair,
replace the 8.83 MHz filter with the "250 Hz" filter which is
really 367 Hz according to the curves on the INRAD site.  The
combination of 367/450 Hz should give a well behaved 350 KHz
"nose" with a sharper roll-off than the 460/450 pair.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV