[RTTY] [icom746pro] Cable for ACC1?

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 12:33:44 PST 2010

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 17:09, Peter Laws <plaws0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:38, James M.(Jim) Geidl <jgeidl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Ron,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, I ordered one.  I'm sure it will be great.  Only thing I
>> can do with it is jump rope as my 746Pro is in the shop getting the LCD
>> backlight fixed.
>

> Me too.  Plan to cut the end off an Ethernet cable and get audio out
> and PTT from there.  FSK would come from the Key Out.
>
> Or can I use the PTT In/Out and the Audio Out?2

The 8-pin modular on the back of the RB+ is the way to go.  Been
looking at print-outs of schematics all morning.  My RB+ is wired to
use the 8-pin round connector on the front of my IC746Pro.  Because I
want to use the "DATA" modes, I'm instead going to run Audio In and
PTT through ACC(1) in addition to Audio Out and FSK.

My only real concern is grounding, since there is only one ground pin
on ACC(1), Pin 2.  It seems to be ground for PTT and audio and I don't
understand how that will affect things ...  except that it's really no
different than what I'm doing now (where those two paths run into the
Mic jack on the radio).

Anyway, it looks like ACC(1) Pin 1 runs to the FSK plug on the RB+
(that's the red wire on the Mouser cable**).  Pin 5 (green) will run to the
Audio In on the PC - no isolation transformer.  This is
currently the case with the West Mountain Radio ACC(1) "FSK" cable so
I'm not too worried.

I will add a path from ACC(1) Pin 4 (orange) to Pin 1 of the 8-pin
modular (using the end of an Ethernet cable), a path from ACC(1) Pin 3
(blue) to Pin 5 of the 8-pin modular, and pull the ACC(1) Pin 2 ground
to Pins 6 and 7.

Anyone that has any insight into this ... like stuff I'm about to
screw up ... please speak up!  :)

Two interesting asides.  One is that you *could* use a "standard"
5-pin DIN plug in ACC(1) and get all you need for digital modes
including FSK because Pins 6, 7, and 8 are Squelch, 13.8 VDC, and ALC
respectively, none of which are needed for your Rig Blaster.

The other thing I noted is that, with 13.8 VDC on Pin 7, you could
make a true "All In One" cable that provides *everything* including
power.  :-)  That would cut down on all those rat's nest cables.

** http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300361.pdf